Wednesday 6 February 2013

Preliminary Script - Behind Closed Doors


The first shot is and close up of Francis with a towel over his face. It appears wet and he seems to be trembling, his breath is visible through the dampness of the towel. He is quickly hit out of the shot, it cuts to a mid shot from behind two men on either side of the him who roughly hold and push him down the corridor. His shouting is heard.

Francis - I've done nothing! You can't keep me here!

The shot is then cut to a close up to the three men's feet as they walk along the corridor to the interrogation room. This is a low angle shot that shows the two men on the outside of Francis walking purposefully and francis' feet dragging on the ground. 
The men then bring Francis into the interrogation room. They force him to sit down on a seat, and they remove the towel from his head.
The shot is then cut to a point of view shot that shows a man facing Francis. The shot is blurred and the light shines along the shot, the image of the man is unclear for Francis. 
The shot then cuts to an over the shoulder shot showing Francis with him sitting back on his seat coolly.

Francis - Why am I here?

The interrogator laughs and opens a file. The shot cuts to another over the shoulder shot that shows the  interrogator smiling and looking at his file. He closes the file and slides it across the table to Francis.

Interrogator - Francis Murphy. You have been arrested and held for the killing of 14 innocent people, and for the attempted murder of two superintendents from Yorkshire Police Station. But I'm sure you already know that.

The shot shows Francis, he is sitting up in his seat, he pushes the file away from him and folds his arms. 

Francis - Look I'm innocent, I'm just a normal man, I work in a bakery, I have three kids. Do you really think I would get involved in this?


Francis looks around the room not showing any feeling. The shot cuts to the Interrogator, his hands together and his head nodding. 

Interrogator - Listen to me you Irish scum, I know you made the bombs, you know you did. Sarah Brightman. Jane Webb. John McStravick. Terry Hughes. Eric Taylor. Michael Morrison. Peter Kelly. Do you want me to continue?

The shot is cut to Francis, still emotionless. He is sitting back in his chair.

Francis - This is madness. You can't hold me here, I've done nothing wrong. I mean like, what proof do you have?

There is an over the shoulder shot, showing the interrogator looking smug.

Interrogator - Oh Francis, don't you worry about that. We have everything we need to make sure you never see the light of day again. Inside prison walls for the rest of your little scummy life, how does that sound?

It cuts to Francis, pointing at the Interrogator.

Francis - And if that's the case officer, you've just signed your death warrant.


The shot cuts to the Interrogator. He is sitting up in his chair with both his hands on the table.

Interrogator - Is that right? Cause i thought id already signed it. After all, you did try to blow my car to pieces earlier.

The shot is zoomed on Francis.

Francis - That was you? Your this Officer Barkley I've heard so much about?

The shot cuts to a close up on the Interrogator.

Interrogator - That would be me.

The shot is a wide shot that shows the two men facing each other.

Francis - Well next time I'll make sure its done right.

The shot cuts to a mid shot of the Interrogator.

Interrogator - (Laughing) You Irish rats are all the same, always making empty threats. Well guess what Francis? You don't scare me, cause i know what you are. You're nothing, nothing but a cowardly little bastard.

The shot cut to a mid shot of Francis, but as he talks the shot zooms until it is a close up.

Francis - Your people will now realise that Britain cannot occupy our country and torture our prisoners and shoot our people on their own streets and get away with it. Today I was unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always. Give Ireland peace and there will be no more war.

The Interrogator stands up, the shot is cut to a mid shot of him.

Interrogator - That's all I needed to hear.

He walks out and the two men who brought Francis into the room enter. One locks the door and the other rolls up his sleeves. The shot is blurred as the men begin to beat Francis.

No comments:

Post a Comment